Subject: JICS Account Application Form

From: JICS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:04:57 -0400

Dr. Motteler,   Here's the application form that I mentioned would
be included.  Mary Drake

           Application for Use of Parallel Computers

Accounts on the Intel iPSC/860 (128 processors), Thinking Machines
CM-5 (32 processors), the Kendall Square KSR-1 (64 processors),
and the MasPar MP-2 (4096 processors) are available through the JICS.
Funding to acquire these machines was obtained to support very
specific activities; consequently, the researchers working in these
areas must be given priority access.  Therefore, we request that
individuals obtaining access to these machines through the JICS
limit their use to simple testing, benchmarking, and scaling
studies.  Currently, time is available on these machines, but as
the usage increases, we may need to be more restrictive to the
availability of time.  JICS reserves the right to suspend accounts
for any reason, including excessive use.

We ask also that acknowledgement of JICS for obtaining access to
these machines be included in any related publications resulting
from your research.

If you are interested in using one or more of these machines,
please clip out and return the following application to JICS
([email-masked]).

                   JICS Account Application Form

Name:
Social Security Number:
Current Position: Student (enrolled in CMSC 691a)
Department: Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Institution: University of Maryland Baltimore County
Office Phone: 
Mailing Address: c/o Dr. Howard E. Motteler
Email Address:
Computer(s) Requested: MarPar MP-2
Area(s) of interest: SIMD architecture and programming
Describe below (in some detail) how and for what purpose you
intend to use the parallel computer:

   We will be doing several moderate-sized projects for CMSC 691a, a
   graduate course in parallel and distributed processing taught by
   Dr. Motteler at UMBC ([email-masked]).  These projects include
   matrix multiplication (as an introduction to SIMD programming) and
   one or more of the following: an N-body problem where N is on the
   order of the number of PE's; neural networks; the compilation of
   n-grams; or finite grid analyses.  In all cases these projects are
   indended for code development and instructional purposes, rather
   than production runs on large datasets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

             UT/ORNL Joint Institute for Computational Science

Room 104, South College          |    
University of Tennessee          |   The "user-friendly interface" 
Knoxville, TN 37996-1301         |   between researchers and high
Phone:  (423) 974-3907           |      performance computers.
Fax:    (423) 974-3949           |
URL: http://www-jics.cs.utk.edu  |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------